Have you ever been just sitting around the house and had a taste for something sweet? When I say sweet, I don’t mean anything heavy or overly sweet. I mean just something with just a little bit of sweetness. Well, I have the snack for you. It’s Apple Walnut Squares. Just think, in less than an hour you can satisfy your sweet tooth with the goodness of apple, walnut and cinnamon wrapped around a delious moist cake.
I made this apple treat with Granny Smith apple. These apples have kind of a tart taste but you can use other baking apples like Honeycrisp, Gala or Fuji. You can also mix Granny Smith and Honeycrisp apples together to get a mouth full of sweet and tart goodness. All you need is a 9 inch square baking pan and just a few ingredients.
- 1 cup sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 chopped medium size apple
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon confectioner’s sugar
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F(175 degrees C). Greased a 9×9 inch pan.
2) Sift together flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon; in a small bowl.
3) In a large bowl, mix together melted butter, brown sugar, white sugar with a spoon until smooth. Stir in eggs one at a time and vanilla.
4) Stir half of the flour mixture into the wet ingredients. Once combined, add the remaining flour ingredients. Stir in chopped apples and walnuts.
5) Pour batter into prepared 9×9 inch pan.
6) Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
6) Cool on a wire rack. If desired, sprinkle with confectioner’s sugar.